I had a very plesant surprise the other day: my apple jelly set up great! It was the first time I had ever tried making jelly and I’m proud of how it came out. It may be a little on the runnier side, but it’s jelly!
The apricot/apple jelly from the picture, my second batch, is another story. It didn’t even thicken into a syrup. After much angst and research, I went back to the store to pick up a second box of pectin to have a go at it. The plan was to rectify things by re-boiling the jelly, cooking it longer and testing it in a multitude of ways.
Initially I started with nine jars worth of syrup. After cooking it longer, I ended up with seven and a smidge. Things looked to be testing well; even the rest batch in the looked to be jelling up. I went ahead and processed the seven jars in the water bath.
I opened up the test jar this morning. Looks can most definitely be deceiving. While the apricot/apple acts like a jelly from the outside, its still a syrup on the spoon. Granted, it’s a super thick syrup, but it’s still a syrup.
The plus side? It tastes just like the duck sauce from the local American-Chinese restaurant we order take-out from. So, while we don’t have apricot/apple jelly, we do have seven jars of duck sauce.
I’ve been canning for seven years now and have yet to take a stab at jelly. Today was the first go round. Supposedly us impossible to tell if the jelly has fully set until it his the 24 hour mark. I’m a bit nerved up by the what-ifs. Needless to say, I think I might pick up Dionne extra pectin in the AM, just in case.
We’re without water, again.
In the middle of January – after being hit with the flu and loosing our sweet little Teeny bird – the water pressure in the house began to decrease severely. We had maybe 20psi at best. We dealt with it for a week, not thinking too much of it, but as it continued to go on we became concerned that there was a leak. Upon poking and prodding, the water department tore up two areas of the road and found that, yes, there was a leak. After three weeks of being on a boil water order, the water department finally hooked up a 540′ hose from the fire hydrant to our house. We finally had potable, normal pressure water again.
At that point my main concern was someone from the town’s road crew taking out the hose when playing from a storm, given that it’s laying among the side of the road they dump the snow. Hubster said such a thing was unlikely to happen.
But it did. Today. I went to snag a drink of water, but nothing from the tap. I had Hubster call thr water department (we try to keep point of contact continuity) and he was told they were working on it already. Come to find out our neighbor took out the hose with his Kobota while clearing snow around the hydrant.
Here’s hoping nothing else happens between now abd when they finally fix the hard line.
| Tags: water
The first blizzard of 2018 is getting ready to pounce. Even the governor is asking for people to stay home and of the roads. Little Mister has a snow day and Hubster will most likely be home at noon. Our little piece of heaven is slated to get 10-15″ and a fair dose of 25+ mph wind. We don’t lose power here often, but we’re prepared anyway.
There is coffee, books, and knitting on my mind for today. The only venturing forth I’ll be doing is to refresh the chicken’s water.