Last night, when Hubster went to count chickens, he only counted 23. I went out to do a double count – standard practice when one is missing – and sure enough, Wafflette was no where to be found. We did a precursory look, but had to tend to another chicken’s injured toe.
While we were bummed that one of the hens might have become fox fodder, we knew there was a chance that she might have headed out somewhere to brood up. For the time being, I wrote her in the ledger as deceased.
This afternoon, I stepped out to collect eggs. Waking towards the barn, I saw a junked tote that I had set aside to bring to recycling. It had been flipped upside down.
“Might as well snag it to load up singe stuff from the basement for a dump troll this weekend.”
Imagine my surprise when I listed the thing up to find none other than Wafflette and two eggs! She looked up at me, stretched a wing, and then walked off for a drink like nothing had happened.
I’m starting to think she rather enjoyed her night of solitude.
I had a very plesant surprise the other day: my apple jelly set up great! It was the first time I had ever tried making jelly and I’m proud of how it came out. It may be a little on the runnier side, but it’s jelly!
The apricot/apple jelly from the picture, my second batch, is another story. It didn’t even thicken into a syrup. After much angst and research, I went back to the store to pick up a second box of pectin to have a go at it. The plan was to rectify things by re-boiling the jelly, cooking it longer and testing it in a multitude of ways.
Initially I started with nine jars worth of syrup. After cooking it longer, I ended up with seven and a smidge. Things looked to be testing well; even the rest batch in the looked to be jelling up. I went ahead and processed the seven jars in the water bath.
I opened up the test jar this morning. Looks can most definitely be deceiving. While the apricot/apple acts like a jelly from the outside, its still a syrup on the spoon. Granted, it’s a super thick syrup, but it’s still a syrup.
The plus side? It tastes just like the duck sauce from the local American-Chinese restaurant we order take-out from. So, while we don’t have apricot/apple jelly, we do have seven jars of duck sauce.
I’ve been canning for seven years now and have yet to take a stab at jelly. Today was the first go round. Supposedly us impossible to tell if the jelly has fully set until it his the 24 hour mark. I’m a bit nerved up by the what-ifs. Needless to say, I think I might pick up Dionne extra pectin in the AM, just in case.
We’re without water, again.
In the middle of January – after being hit with the flu and loosing our sweet little Teeny bird – the water pressure in the house began to decrease severely. We had maybe 20psi at best. We dealt with it for a week, not thinking too much of it, but as it continued to go on we became concerned that there was a leak. Upon poking and prodding, the water department tore up two areas of the road and found that, yes, there was a leak. After three weeks of being on a boil water order, the water department finally hooked up a 540′ hose from the fire hydrant to our house. We finally had potable, normal pressure water again.
At that point my main concern was someone from the town’s road crew taking out the hose when playing from a storm, given that it’s laying among the side of the road they dump the snow. Hubster said such a thing was unlikely to happen.
But it did. Today. I went to snag a drink of water, but nothing from the tap. I had Hubster call thr water department (we try to keep point of contact continuity) and he was told they were working on it already. Come to find out our neighbor took out the hose with his Kobota while clearing snow around the hydrant.
Here’s hoping nothing else happens between now abd when they finally fix the hard line.
| Tags: water